Should you apply for or renew a passport right now? Everything you need to know

Editor's note: This post is regularly updated as new information is released. The original article was published on April 1, 2020.

Your United States passport is normally a symbol of your ability to move around the world, but the coronavirus pandemic has made it only a reminder of our hopes to be traveling again when circumstances allow.

The State Department paused all but essential passport processing operations in March 2020, due to the risk of COVID-19 spread. As of June 2, the agency announced a phased re-opening for some in the country, but no concrete dates or locations have been announced as of now.

TPG spoke with David Pacella, senior director for strategic partnerships at, during the lockdown to clarify the situation with passport applications and renewals. Here's what you need to know about renewing or applying for a passport right now.

In This Post

My passport expires in the next 18 months. Should I apply for my new passport right now?

Yes, says Pacella. “We anticipate passport processing services to get much, much busier once the travel ban is lifted,” he adds. “This is the perfect time for most people to renew a passport that expires soon, since you aren't going right now and you can also beat the rush.”

He emphasizes that individual needs vary, but says that the average traveler who has canceled international plans for trips in the coming months would likely benefit from renewing their passport now, especially if delaying further would run the risk of jeopardizing the passport's six-month validity window. That rule requires that travelers have more than six months between the date when they return home from international travel and when their passport expires. A passport expiration date will not change and many other travelers will begin submitting new and renewal applications as soon as the travel ban is lifted. It's best to beat the rush and send in your passport now so that you'll be prepared to travel when worries over coronavirus have subsided, Pacella advises.

Related: These 6 passport mistakes could leave you stranded at the border.

What is the current situation for applications?

On March 25, 2020, the State Department declared that applicants could no longer receive expedited passport services unless they had a qualified life-or-death emergency which required international travel within the next 72 hours.

That regulation was followed on April 3 with an update posted to the State Department website clarifying that standard passport applications would continue to be accepted, although the department warned of significant delays in processing times.

Pacella told TPG that current turnaround times are uncertain. Routine passport processing is still available through a limited number of passport acceptance agencies, which include select post offices and other government entities such as county or district clerks, as well as private third-party agencies like

Under typical circumstances, standard processing via the State Department takes six to eight weeks to issue or renew a passport. Expedited service through the U.S. Postal Service takes about two to three weeks. Regional passport agencies in major cities such as New York, Los Angeles and Houston can expedite passports (in normal times) within one business day, although most say to expect it to take between five to eight business days.

I've already submitted my passport application. How can I check on its status?

Applicants can sign up for status updates and check their passport status via the dedicated Passport Status website.

What if my child needs an updated passport?

Every passport application for a minor under the age of 16 requires that the child apply in person at a passport acceptance facility. Both parents must be present with the child or an absent parent must submit a notarized consent form. Children 15 and under need new passports every five years.

Applicants who are 16 years of age must also have both parents present at the passport office when applying for their first adult passport, which is valid for 10 years. However, 17-year-old applicants only need one parent present. Applicants who are 18 or older can apply for adult passports on their own.

Can I still apply for a passport at the post office?

Because many non-essential facilities are closed because of the coronavirus crisis, many passport application acceptance facilities such as libraries, clerks of court and post offices are not accepting U.S. passport applications at this time.

As of March 25, 2020, the handful of post offices that still process passport applications are requiring customers to make online appointments. If you need to apply in person for your U.S. passport, contact the facility directly to confirm the status of its operations.

Where else can I apply for or renew a passport?

There are options in addition to post offices and regional passport agencies. You'll need to visit another “adjudication agency” to apply for a new adult passport, a passport for a child under the age of 16, or when you're replacing a lost or stolen passport.

To find the nearest facility in your area, use this website and enter your zip code to find the closest facility. Your county or district clerk's office may be able to resolve your passport needs, although Pacella says that it's a good idea to call ahead and confirm that the office which handles passport applications and renewals is still open as an essential service.

Should I apply through a third-party passport agency?

Normally, companies like excel at turning around passport renewals and new applications in record time. But since the same guidelines set forth by the State Department apply to both personal and business applicants, expedited service is not available through third-party agencies.

Nevertheless, a third-party processing agency may still be helpful, if only to ease your mind by handling your document preparations and delivery. Make sure the processing agency you select is an approved partner and courier service registered with the State Department as a hand-carry courier.

What circumstances qualify as an 'emergency' for an expedited passport?

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illness, injuries or a death in your immediate family (a parent, child, spouse, sibling, aunt or uncle) which require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (three days).

To have your passport application processed, you must provide:

  • passport application with supporting documents
  • Proof of the life-or-death emergency such as a death certificate, a statement from a mortuary or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional. Documents must be translated into or written in English
  • Proof of international travel (reservation, ticket or  itinerary)

To make an appointment for an expedited passport, you must call the National Passport Information Center.

Hours are Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (ET); Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The number is 1-877-487-2778 (1-888-874-7793 TDD/TTY). Outside of these hours, call 202-647-4000 to make an appointment.

What if I applied for expedited service?

If you applied for a passport and requested expedited service on or before March 19, 2020, the State Department will honor its commitment of a two- to three-week turnaround time, door-to-door. If you applied in-person at a passport agency or center on or before March 19, 2020, the passport agency or center will contact you to ask if you want to pick up your passport in person or have it mailed to you.

Passport applications after March 20, 2020, will have standard processing times. You will not be able to apply for expedited service either directly or through third-party agencies like, and you will not be able to pay the additional rush fee.

Puerto Ricans should be aware that the San Juan Passport Agency is closed to the public until at least April 12, 2020.

Here are more details from Pacella about the current situation.

Third-party passport courier services
Passport status check

Passport acceptance agent

  • The passport acceptance agent is required for all new passports and child passports and for replacing a lost/stolen passport.
  • This is also called an adjudication agent.
  • Find your nearest agent here:
Parental consent forms
  • Parents can submit a notarized consent form if they are unable to get or give consent for a minor applicant. This is required for child passports (age 15 and under). Applicants who are 16 will need both parents to give consent, even though they are eligible for an adult passport (valid for 10 years). Seventeen-year-old applicants only need one parent present.
  • Minor passports for children ages 15 and younger: When one parent cannot appear in person at the Passport Acceptance Facility, they can use the DS3053 notarized consent form:
  • When one parent is unavailable to give consent, the DS5525 can be submitted. Usually this is necessary only in a special circumstance like a missing parent:

Featured photo by Spencer Davis/Unsplash

위로 스크롤